Thursday, March 6, 2014

Behind The Scenes Awesomeness: The Alien Franchise


Well, I'm going to be starting something new here on The Film Connoisseur called Behind the Scenes Awesomeness! These types of articles will feature behind the scenes pics of your favorite movies; in todays installment we focus on the Alien Franchise, I've purposely left out the Alien Vs. Predator films and Prometheus, for a possible future post. On this article I've included pics from Alien (1979), Aliens (1986), Alien 3 (1992) and Alien Resurrection (1997). Behind the scenes pics are really insightful as to what goes on behind the making of the film, often times you'll see how tricky camera shots were achieved, or the tricks filmmakers used to fool us, like for example, how Ridley Scott used little kids to make his sets look bigger! You'll also get to see actors fooling around in between takes which is always fun for me. So anyhows, I leave you with the first installment of Behind the Scenes Awesomeness! Hope you enjoy it.



5 comments:

JP Mulvanetti said...

Some great shots there. Carlo Rambaldi and Stan Winston did some nightmare-inducing work on these films.

Courtney said...

Brilliant post! By far my favorite franchise! I watched "the making of Aliens" on youtube, and it's remarkable the tricks they used in that film without CGI overload.

Franco Macabro said...

Thanks to both for commenting, what I noticed the most is the amount of actual phisical work that went into making films in the past....I prefer it over CGI any day of the week. As JP mentioned, Winston and Rambaldi, as well as Giger himself worked tirelessly to make these films, and I think it shows when you see the film, the effort does not go unnoticed.

There will be more of these Behind The Scenes Awesomeness, one every week the way I see it, so look forward to that!

Sergei Kolobashkin said...

I was always a big fan of the whole franchise. Resurrection wasn't that good and it had a Luc Besson flavour to it. Now they are making a sequel to Aliens ignoring Alien 3, probably the best looking film in the whole franchise. It's not just the design of Alien 3, that I love so much, but the whole movie is fantastic. So many brilliant actors, great story, that haunting feeling of a true horror film. I don't understand, why people resent it so much.

Franco Macabro said...

Sergei, I totally agree with you on Alien 3, a movie that is often times spoken as a lesser film in the series, yet I myself find it fascinating from many points of view, among them its visual aesthetic, which is very unique, it's so gritty looking!

Same as you, I don't understand audiences disdain for it, I think it could have something to do with the fact that its so different from the film that came before it, which was high on action and adventure rather than horror and atmosphere. People were probably expecting another James Cameron film and what Fincher did was very much a Fincher film, which is awesome of course, closer to what Ridley Scott did with the first film. Thanks for commenting Sergei!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails